Tuesday, August 2, 2011

INSPIRATION AND WRITING




INSPIRATION AND WRITING
I have been asked one question a lot over the past few years and that question is “where do you get your ideas from?” The answer is simple yet also kind of complicated. Sometimes ideas just come to me. I may hear a line or a lyric of a song combined with the atmosphere around me or the location. I could be visiting a different state or city and notice certain buildings or storefronts and think what a great town this would be in a story. Sometimes I just look around me and suddenly I begin to imagine what is going on in people’s lives. I am an observer. It’s not something that I trained myself to do or decided that I needed to do in order to write. It just comes naturally and is part of who I am. I love people and getting to know people’s lives. I want to hear their stories and learn about their lives. Life is precious and each and every one of us has something to contribute to society and to this world. The difference is whether or not a person can take the time to see how important they are.
It drives my husband crazy every time we meet new people or go to a party or event and he finds me engaged in some deep conversation with someone I hardly know. He wonders how I get people to open up to me and share such deep dark secrets. I just smile and shrug my shoulders and say, “they just needed someone to talk to.”
He is so used to it by now that he just shakes his head then hugs me as we leave.

Then there is the good old sexy picture. Whether male or female I can appreciate a good looking person. I can browse through a lingerie magazine and find the perfect woman, the best outfits, body and even panties and bra that would help to describe and create a great character for my stories. Then there are all those sexy male photos my wonderful friends on Face Book post. Gotta Love Multiples! ;)




Another aspect of where I get my inspiration to write is that I enjoy reading and especially doing research. That alone has inspired me to write many of my books. Knowing how things really work is key to creating an authentic and believable backdrop just as much as creating the characters themselves. This can’t be done in a few weeks time. At least not for me. I guess I get too attached and deeply connected to my characters and perhaps to the point where I want to be certain that my readers understand exactly why my characters do the things they do. Many authors can write books quickly, popping out a book every two weeks. I just can’t do it. I feel rushed, I feel disconnected and I just don’t feel the book will read as well if I am rushed.
Questions for today:

Authors: Do you have the ability to write an entire 70,000 words or more book every couple of weeks and if so how the heck do you do it?

Readers: How do you feel about an author who can write so quickly and deliver multiple books a month as opposed to an author who delivers multiple books every few months or perhaps within a year? Is it quantity or quality at stake or does it really not matter because you love certain authors no matter what they write?

~Dixie~

7 comments:

Edith DuBois said...

Cool post, Dixie! As an author, I can get about 40,000 words a month... so plus the few extra thousand words I would need to finish, plus reader over it again a few times before sending it in, it takes me about one and half to two months to finish a book.

As a reader, quality beats quantity for me every time! :]

Heather in FL said...

As a reader, I much prefer quality over quantity. And I would prefer a lengthier story than two or three shorts. There are some authors I really like, but the stories have to be good or I'll stop buying.

heather said...

That pic had me drooling all over me computer, lol!

Chele Blades said...

that pic gave me inspiration to alot of naughty ideas....

as to your questions of course i would love all my fav authors to put out a book a month...but then i would probably be behind...as far as series books goes (like your were series and several other author's series who blog here..you know who you are..) i would the series books to come out quickly at least monthly..but that is me just being selfish as well...to be honest why i like most about the books is how well they are written and well...it takes time to write sexy books...so i try to stay patient!!! never succeed though...

AuthorDixieLynnDwyer said...

These are all great comments and in all honesty I agree. I think that a good story takes time and can't be rushed. If readers truly enjoy your work then they wait even "not so patiently" Chele.
Plus I have noticed through the e-mails that I get that many readers re-read the stories multiple times. They need time to do that and digest all the information they may have missed the first time around. It is funny actually because a reader wrote a review on Siren stating that something was missing in the story. It was a key factor in the personality of my character Anna in FOR THE LOVE OF ANNA. Anyway she went back and re-read the book and there it was. She had gotten so wrapped up in Anna's character that she missed the piece of information. She wrote an apology e-mail and I told her not to worry and that I was glad that she loved the story and was so touched by Anna's character.

Savanna Kougar said...

Great post, Dixie. I have the same question. How the heck do you write a quality book in such a short time? I know some authors can do it, but I can't.

Now, if you're in the zone, your muse is gung ho, and you can concentrate without all the other distractions of life... okay.

I keep wishing for a step-out-of-time place to write... lol...

AuthorDixieLynnDwyer said...

A "Step-out-of-time place to write" That would be pretty awesome Savanna. But with all the responsibilities of life and family it just isn't feasible for this author. But hey...I'll keep trying.
Thanks for the comments everyone.
~Dixie~