Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My love affair with reading...

I love reading, I mean Really, Really, love reading. The kind of love that can cause a person to be a bit obsessive. I read everything I can get my hands on. Form the side of a cereal box to anything in the massive piles of books that clutter the floor next to my side of the bed.

No it’s not my TBR pile. I don’t have one of those. I’ve read all my books. Owning a book that I haven’t read would drive me crazy. I couldn’t stand not knowing what happened in there, what tidbits of excitement lay hidden in the pages waiting for me to discover them.

I love the initial moments when you first start reading a novel and you meet the characters and see what surprises the Author has up their sleeves for you. It’s kind of like going on a first date. The packaging looks great and you like the bits of information you have so far but now is when you find out if this will be a lasting connection or a one night stand. Sadly, it doesn't always work out but like men, there are lots of books out there. ;) I head back to the computer and find another one who catches my interest.

That’s one of the best things about the Righteous Perverts. They are all as obsessed about books as I am. We’re all readers whether we write or not. As a writer, I can’t thank all the perverts enough. They’re incredibly supportive and I wouldn’t write as much as I do if it wasn’t for them cheering me on when I’m stuck. We’ve discussed character names and traits. There isn’t any topic they shy away from which is very reassuring. They yell from the rooftops when one of us has a book released. We have chats every Wednesday night at 6ct(9est) HERE and your catch many of the authors in this group there as well as someone in the spotlight for the evening.

And now that I’ve finished my writing for today, and the kids are off to school I can crawl into bed with Chloe Lang’s newest release and indulge. You know, the one great bonus to owning an e-reader is getting out of bed is much safer now.


8 comments:

Juniper Bell said...

I had such a fun time chatting with the Righteous Perverts along with the Nine Naughty Novelists! You guys are great. You may see me there again one of these Wednesdays! And I'm with you, I'm an absolutely obsessive reader, always have been.

MiaAshlinn said...

Corinne, Great post. In my book (please excuse the pun), reading ranks up there with sex, chocolate, and writing. Of course, for me, they all go hand-in-hand.

I always love to meet other people who are as voracious readers as I am myself. That is one of the reasons that I love the RPs. Well that...and they are perverts. It makes them a helluva lot of fun. Plus, we never seem to run out of things to talk about! If we do, we shall know the end of the world is fast approaching. LOL.

Anywhoo, I will be forever grateful for Heather Rainier's advice to visit that fateful Wednesday night chat...and for you. You made me feel so comfortable with my freakishness (Is that a word? *shrugs*)and eccentricities. You included me when I was absolutely, completely in over my head in the sea of big fishies! So, I must thank you from the depths of my heart.

Since I would hate to be the evil person that tears someone away from a good book (I have no doubts that Chloe Lang's newest release falls into the category!), I am going to let you go. Happy reading!

-Mia

p.s. When I was little, I actually got desperate enough to read a portion of the phone book. I got made fun of for a year! Evil kids. Grrr.

Luna Wildwood said...

A love affair with books is a beautiful thing. I love to read. I have been known to devour new books in a matter of hours, staying up till the wee hours of the morning to find out how it all ends. I find myself jonsing for the next book in a series so I can experience another town or alternate reality within the pages. Whether there are cowboys riding around on their horses on the ranch or a Steampunk captain and his crew flying around in an airship, the stories pull me in to enjoy the characters and fall in love with them.

I was never a reader as a child. My parents never encouraged me to crack open a book at all. It was when I was a teenager, a cousin of mine visiting from England who lent me a fantasy book he had brought with him, that sparked the reader in me.

I discovered the lovely smutty goodies in Dec 2010, when a friend (Tina) introduced me to the erotic romance books that has grabbed my attention now. Gotta love a friend who corrupts you with such naughty treats! :) Tina also got me to join the group that would become the Righteous Perverts a few months ago. I've met loads of people there and have even chatted with some of the authors I have read!

Another awesome blog Corinne!

Z said...

I have a big TBR pile, but it takes up 3 bookcases. I just had to reoganize them. That takes me all day becasue I alphabetize them first, it's an sickness I know. Anyway I have about 900- yes 900 print books and about 300 e books. Yes I need to stop buying but....well, my husband does say he'll be rich when I die and he sells all my print books.
Zina

Brandi said...

Love this post. It's almost as if I wrote it! I love love love books. I can't get enough! I read 250 last year and at 125 this year so far. I also do not have a TBR pile, I buy, read and buy again!

Lily said...

Great post and great comments - oh the wonder of books and the pleasure of reading. I can't get enough of all the lovely characters and the hot plots writers dream up in the genre of erotic romance.

Lily x

Karen O said...

:) me too!!! I've gotten in to so much trouble from my love of reading. Lol, sometimes there just isn't enough hours in the day to do the dirty work, I mean house work! All my books are ebooks (about 600 and climbing) now, so much easier to carry around with me and I don't have to hide the book covers from the kiddies. LOL

One will never be enough!

Corinne Davies said...

I'll let you in on a secret. I've been known to smuggle my e-reader to work when I'm in the middle of a particularly good story. I'll stash it in the warehouse and then go "look for something" on a regular basis all day. LOL I can run back and read a few more pages before I'm missed.

Thanks for all the comments :) It's always nice to share obsession stories LOL