Thursday, December 29, 2011

It all starts with a simple question.

This is what happened when my husband asked my brother if he knew how to fix a leaky bathtub faucet.

It started simply enough. My husband asked the dreaded question and my brother responded with "Oh hell, that's easy."

Ten minutes later they snapped a plastic piece in the middle of the faucet. "Oh that will be easy to fix. We'll go to Home Depot and pick up a new piece."

But of course, it wasn't that easy. They needed to replace the entire fixture, which meant taking down part of the surround. Then there was another problem and part of the drywall needed to be cut out. This is when I left the house with my SIL and the kids. By the time we got home, all the drywall was gone and they had the water in the entire house turned off.

One more trip to the store for a blow torch, solder and copper caps. Well, now the pipes have been capped off so the water can be turned back on in the house and we are waiting for the plumber.

I started thinking about it and you know my writing often starts with a simple question. Ecstasy Lake was created during a walk down an Algonquin trail, and I wondered what kind of shifters might live in that forest.

Much like a simple question about a dripping faucet, one question led to another and then another. Each time I decided an answer it lead to another deeper question and required me to dig further.

Toronto is known to be a melting pot for all sorts of cultures, and I like the idea of Ecstasy Lake reflecting that. So far we have met, wolves, tigers, selkies, a faery and lots of people who haven't yet told me all their secrets.

But, why would a variety of different shapeshifters be drawn to this small town.
A haven or sanctuary for those who need it, perhaps?

But, what would draw these different creatures to this particular spot?
From here I started making notes and notes and more notes. The deeper I dig the more questions I have and the more secrets I learn.

Now creating a story is something I look forward to. Fixing my bathroom...not so much. I was hoping for some bit of hidden mystery caught in the wall but sadly there was nothing... But, what if there had been something in there?

Let's have some fun with this. How about you comment below, and tell me what you think I could have found in there. I really need the distraction or I start planning retribution for the abuse against my bathroom. :)

I'll wait until 11:59 on the 31st and then draw a name from all the comments. The winner will recieve their choice of one of my Ecstasy Lake books. Caress of Fur, Embraced by Fur or Wrapped in Fur.

9 comments:

Marissa Giles said...

BADGER!! I had to say it.

Ursula said...

A box with a bunch of letters and a map...

I think the letters would have a romantic connotation...

SheriV said...

Damn she beat me to Badger...so I'm going to say the body of the last owner. Yep. The last owner buried his wife and he's panicking now since he found this blog post and is afraid you'll tear up the rest of your bathroom and find her body. :P

Sheri

Lisa's Place said...

I'm going to say an old book or diary written by a shifter who was half crazed. Thereby leading you, an amatuer geneologist to spend your vacation going to toronto to find out if you could trace the family of this man and return the book.Since the man was obviously insane, believing he was a shape shifter as well as a prophet of some type, you are intrigued by the possibilities of where his imagination came from. Unbeknownst to you, the geneology society of toronto holds a disproportionate (sp?) amount of shifters, and the sexy society member you meet leads you on an unknowing tour of all the shifter clans......

Heather Rainier said...

In the wall, you find a role up animal hide scroll, on which is written in a language you inexpicably can understand. Its the ancient, unknown history of Blavet. It prophesies of a modern day bard, a woman who tells stories of how he came to Ecstasy Lake and that the bard is his destined mate, the one he has waited for, for five hundred years.

98069826-d0db-11e0-bf21-000bcdca4d7a said...

I say a box of old love letters from a wolf shifter to the feline shifter he was forbidden from having a relationship with. I think the letters tell of their tragic and forbidden love.

Luna Wildwood said...

You find a hidden deed to a small plot of land by Algonquin Park. On the plot of land is a small cozy cottage with a fabulous view of Ecstasy Lake.

btw I'm liking how Heather's thinking with her comment ;-) lol

Corinne Davies said...

I asked my husband to pick a number between 1-7 and he said 4 because that is how many people are in our family. :) That means, Lisa you are my winner! Please let me know which of my Esctasy Lake books you would like and what format you prefer.
(If you already have them then please pick something from my back list :)

Happy New Year!

Lisa's Place said...

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!1 thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!