Friday, December 16, 2011

It's A Wonderful Life

So I’ve thought a lot about what to write in this blog today. Mostly because my brain is dead and I have no idea what to put down. It’s the holidays and I have a release on December 23rd and another manuscript due in mere weeks so I thought I would talk a little bit about what this year has meant to me. 

Wow. I started the year as an aspiring author. I released three books in 2010. I released nine as Sophie Oak in 2011. What a year. This is a rough business especially if you don’t figure out what really matters. I was lucky enough to do that this year. I met or talked to some incredible people who put things in perspective for me.

Don’t get me wrong. This is my livelihood. I put my kids through school with this money. I pay my mortgage with what I make. The money is important – but any paycheck could do that. Writing is a little different. We get to feed our souls even as we feed our children. Back in November of 2010 Leslie Richardson asked me a question in an internet radio interview. She asked me what was the best thing about writing. I told her that it was getting to know the characters – but I would change the answer today. I know what the best thing about writing is – making connections to a world beyond my own. When someone writes to you and tells you that you made their world better, you understand the true power of your words. I don’t claim to fix problems or enlighten people. But I am comfort food and there is a need for that. When I’m sad or worried, I have books I turn to. Not because the show me the way, but because I love the worlds they take me to. To be that writer for even a few people makes it all worthwhile. 

So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Happy Holidays to everyone. And especially to the readers who make my life worthwhile.



Sophie Oak writes ménage romance for Siren Publishing. Her latest book – Found in Bliss – is coming out on December 23rd.

And join her for the 12 Days of Blissmas at www.sophieoak.com!

9 comments:

SusieJ said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you Sophie and thank you for the wonderful books and characters that you write.
Hugs xx
p.s. Julian is still my favourite...sigh

Sophie said...

Thanks, Susie! I love Julian, too. It's why he keeps popping back up!

Ursula said...

You have definitely been a "comfort food" for me this year. Especially as I embarked on life changes that eliminated real comfort food. I turned more and more to books to distract myself. Whenever I need to escape or relax, yours are some of the first books I turn to. I am so glad I discovered your books this year, which in turn led to discovering Heather Rainier's books, the Righteous Perverts, and so many other treats like Siren Publishing in general. :) So thank you for following your passion, and in turn feeding my passion-reading!

Sophie said...

Thank you so much, Ursula! I always go back to the same books when I'm feeling down. It makes my soul warm that I can be that for someone else.

Desertduty said...

Your books definately are "comfort food"! Life doesn't always go the way you want it to, and there is always a good book to get lost in. Your books have the best of everything I fantasize about! Please don't ever stop writing them!

Sophie said...

I won't Desertduty. I lose myself in my own world Sometimes it feels more real to me than my own. I'm lucky that I get to make a living this way. Luckier still that someone else loves my world the way I do.

swamimommy said...

thank you so much for your books. I have certainly enjoyed them and I have had a rather stressful year, but I get into another place with your stories. thanks.

KateMC said...

Your books are more than just comfort food for me Sophie - sometimes they actually help me stay sane. I thank you and my family thanks you, lol. Hope next year is even better than this year, you deserve it. Have a wonderful Christmas, relax and have fun and then get back to writing!!! xxx

Sophie said...

Thanks to both of you, Swamimommy and KateMC. I can't tell you how much hearing that means to me. And sometimes writing is the only thing that keeps me sane, too.