Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
- Dr. Suess

If there's one thing I love more than writing, it's reading. So this year, instead of making a ton of overly ambitious, I'm-setting-myself-up-for-failure, there's-no-way-in-hell-this-is-gonna-happen resolutions, I've decided to set only a few simple ones. And most of them involve either writing or reading. 

I should start off by saying, as a writer, 2011 has been the bestest, bestest year. I learned so much through publishing with Siren. Really important things. Things like, get out of the bed, put on big-girl pants, get butt in chair. Now start writing. My work ethic has improved so much this year, and it's really a comfort to know that I can sit in front of a computer and not suffer from anxiety and intimidation. Computers are bullies, y'all!

Now, as far as New Year's Resolutions go, I've actually decided to focus more on the reading side of things because I feel, with all the time spent writing last year, I kind of neglected a lot of books and stories from other people's brains. So here they are, fresh and still possible.

1) Keep track of the books I read.

Sounds simple enough. I've made the Google doc spreadsheet and already entered the first book, which I finished two days ago. Basically, I put this one on there because a lot of people, talking here and there on the Internets, kept going on and on about "oh, I read this many books last year!" and "oh, I surprised myself and read more than I'd thought last year." And I was jealous because I had no proof of my own reading awesomeness.

2) Check out books from the library. Do not buy them.

I REPEAT. STEP AWAY FROM THE BOOKSTORE, EDITH.

Now, I know, I know...that was a little dramatic. And of course I'm still gonna be buying a crap load of books, but libraries are beautiful, magical places. And mostly I just want to spend more time there, unlocking secrets and exploring impossibilities.

3) And last but not least, and certainly the most challenging, each morning, before doing anything else (besides turning the coffee pot on), write for an hour. 

I write best in the morning. Thems the hard facts. If I can wake up and tap into that stream of consciousness we like to call our Muse, unblemished by the day's events, untarnished by emotion and doubt, I think my work would improve greatly. 

Okie dokie, my darling lovelies, let's hear some of your resolutions! They don't have to be reading or writing related, but I would love to hear about everyone's hopes for the new year. I have this feeling. I think 2012 is gonna be a fabulous, beautiful, breathtaking year! Let's give it all we've got!

Some books at the top of my reading list:





(There are linky links if you clicky click on the book covers)







2 comments:

SusieJ said...

Love your resolutions and funnily enough..they're almost exactly the same as mine...esp. "step away from the bookstore"! Hubby just added up how much I spent on books (both hard copies and for my Kindle).....eek!!! Total ban for me..:(
I wish you luck and happy writing in 2012.
Hugs xx
p.s. can recommend "Beast" - an awesome book..:)

Edith DuBois said...

SusieJ - it never seems like books should cost as much as they do, and then I go look at the grand total, and I am simply flabbergasted. And I am very, VERY excited to read Beast. I've only heard good things :]