Friday, February 3, 2012

Away, Away We Go

'ALLO, MY LOVELIES!!!


It's been a bit of a rough week in Edithland, and this morning I find myself wishing I could just go away for a while. Take a vacation. Leave those worries behind. See a world so different and peculiar compared to mine.


Then I got to thinking about how important setting is in a book. How, even when we maybe can't afford to travel, or can't leave our lives behind, or have too many obligations at home, books can take us away. I think that, when a setting is done well, I find myself in the story. I've traveled. I've left. I've found a new place in the world. 


One book that did this remarkably well happens to be my favorite book OF ALL TIME, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.



Some of you may have read this epic, gut-wrenching novel. But if you haven't, lemme tell you, this book has a lot of things. It's got time travel, vivid historical detail, heartbreaking characters, a plot full of impossible twists and turns, and a love story that spans hundreds of year. 


IT. 
IS. 
INTENSE. 


But, for me, what really stands out is the setting. The story takes place in the Highlands of Scotland. 





As you can see, it's a wild, beautiful land full of ghosts and faeries and castles and mist, and reading this book made me fall in love so hard with the Highlands. So much, in fact, that I moved to Scotland. 


Yep. I lived in Edinburgh for half a year. 


Because of a book.


But I didn't stop there. Oh no. I even got a tattoo so that I would always remember my time there. And it's a golden brooch, taken from the cover of the fifth book in the series, The Fiery Cross. (The placement of the tattoo on my body is a little indelicate, so no pic. Sorry!)



Anyways, I would love to go back to Scotland one day. But really, I just enjoy traveling. As a writer, I think it shows and teaches me so much, especially when I get to spend a good chunk of time somewhere like I did in Edinburgh. It opens my eyes and forces me to see the world in a different way. 


So I'd like to know, dear readers, if you could go anywhere in the world right now, if you could hop on a plane--no holds barred--where would it be and why? Is it a personal favorite? A place that brings you solace and serenity in this crazy world? Or is it somewhere new and never explored by you? Somewhere you've always wanted to see but haven't yet? Let me know!


And now for some gratuitous sexy Highlanders...







HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

PS: Ewan McGregor, you fox!



1 comment:

K. S. Welbourn said...

I would love to somewhere warm with a beautiful beach. Fiji maybe.