Monday, February 13, 2012

Rock & Roll Rodeo by Heather Rainier



My husband indulged me for our seventeenth wedding anniversary with excellent seats at the opening night of the 63rd San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo, which we attended last Thursday night. Many people have an idea in their minds of what a North American rodeo must be:

Cowboys in full regalia, with an “Aw shucks, ma’am” demeanor.


Rodeo queens with their glittering tiaras perched on their hats and gigantic dinner plate-sized silver belt buckles.

A crowd that stands to their feet and puts their hats or their hands over their hearts for the National Anthem and then bows their heads respectfully when the spokesman prays for the safety of all the riders and participants.

And broncs and bulls that are scary-wicked and hard to ride.

All those things are true and I saw them all last Thursday night. But it's common to think that if you go to the rodeo all you're going to hear is country music and banjos. What I love about our rodeo, and many others, is that they appeal to a younger more diverse crowd, while paying respect to their elders. This was the opening music as the lights went down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-pR0MOJKZM


Yeah...this is not your Granny’s rodeo.

When it was time for bull-riding, this was the opening music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RukUetw0hAM&ob=av2e

If you follow me on Facebook, or have read any of my books then you know I’m a Chris Young fan. If you don’t know who he is and you’re in the mood for a heart-stopping voice and panty-melting grin, just follow this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0crYLHis9M

He made all the ladies happy, singing “Getting’ You Home,” but he also pleased the more venerable generations singing part of “Lay You Down” by Conway Twitty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7FspsAHqfQ (he had the poofy 70’s hair but his voice was capable of making women’s underwear fall off of their own accord) and “Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours) by Stevie Wonder.

Watching those massive, scary bulls fling cowboys off their backs like they were ragdolls was very exciting. Capping off the event was the lone cowboy of the night (Cody Teel, that's him below) who was able to stay on his bull the full eight seconds before jumping to safety.

Particularly entertaining to me was the bull, Spotted Phantom, who not only bucked his rider off, but also kicked dirt at him, the rodeo clowns, the bullfighters, and finally the pick-up rider attempting to heard him to the exit. He snorted arrogantly as if to say “Bring it on motherf*ckers!” and stood in the dirt of the arena until he was good and damned ready to trot off on his own free will. That is a bull I’d root for!


My favorite moment of the rodeo occurred during the Saddle Bronc riding event. Jacobs Crawley’s uncooperative bronc, Red Man, (both pictured above) opted to lie down in the chute rather than be ridden. Jacobs flung himself over the top rail of the chute, which placed his rather nicely-shaped cowboy derriere directly in front of the camera which was shooting a close-up at the time. Women all around me gasped, the drool buckets came out, and a woman was heard to whisper rather loudly, “Holy shit, look at that ass!” (I swear it wasn’t me!) The horse did this twice before the chute finally opened and Red Man erupted from it. The ride was poetry in motion and Crawley was triumphant, winning the round with an 82 point ride.

I love the San Antonio Rodeo, I guess because it’s the one I’ve been going to since I was a little girl. I also love country music but I don’t limit my tastes to just that style. It’s great to see that the rodeo doesn’t limit itself to just one style either, drawing adoring fans from all genres and walks of life.

Heather writes contemporary western erotic ménage romances for Siren Publishing. Heather’s latest book, Divine Phoenix is in the works and should be released later this spring. You can check out her website at www.heatherrainier.com and find her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/messages/?action=read&tid=id.220418731343162#!/heather.rainier

8 comments:

SusieJ said...

Oh my! Sounds like a perfect evening to me...:)
Hugs xx

Heather Rainier said...

Thanks Susie:-) for this country girl with a rock and roll bent it was pretty close to perfect:-)

Tammy said...

I wouldnt have been able to sit still through that. The cowboys, the music, the bulls, the cowboys, the horses, the cowboys, well you get the ideal. Sounds like so much fun. Thank you for sharing.

SheriV said...

Damn. I hate that by moving I miss out on the rodeos anymore. Sounds like an amazing time was had. :) Your husband rocks!

Sheri

RoseRaven said...

Sounds fun. I haven't been to a rodeo in years.

Heather Rainier said...

Sheri, I'm willing to bet that you still have rodeos in your future:)

Tammy, thanks, you're such a sweetheart, and yeah it was hard sitting still for all of it. Had to stretch my legs...get popcorn...ogle cowboys;-)

Thanks RoseRaven...It's an adventure I highly recommend these days. I don't remember rockin' out like that when I was little;-)

Luna Wildwood said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic day at the rodeo! Great anniversary present

Ursula said...

I am officially putting "Go to a rodeo" on my bucket list. I want to so bad.

What a wonderful way to spend your anniversary. You have a wonderful hubby!