Friday, March 30, 2012

Bring on the Swords and Sandals (toga optional)

So I have to admit that I love tales of long ago, yes, I, Sophie Oak, deeply enjoy a good sword and sandal movie or TV show. Maybe it’s the history. Maybe it’s the adventure. Nah, it’s the hot guys in loincloths or what shall now be known as manties!

There’s been a rash of superhot guys with swords and very little clothing. Gerard Butler looked awesome in 300 and proved that even back in Greecian times a body just looks better slathered in oil.

Sam Worthington looks good in his leather miniskirt in Clash of the Titans. And I am sure he will continue to make Perseus sound very Down Under in Wrath of the Titans! Throw another Cyclops on the Barbie for me, Sam.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t so much follow the story line of The Immortals as I did keep my eyes on Henry Cavill hoping his toga would flip up in the wind.

I got back into sword and sandals with the great HBO series Rome. Everyone who reads these blogs for a while knows I adore Kevin McKidd and Rome is the reason why. But I have to say that I am obsessed with Spartacus.

It’s a gory, bloody, sexy soap opera where everyone gets naked and full frontal happens at least once an episode and some of those guys are…well, let’s just say they fill out their manties. (Thank you, Sam Raimi for understanding that girls like to ogle, too.)

Tonight is the 3rd season ender and I’m at a signing! Yikes. Thank god for DVRs. I know what I’ll be doing tomorrow morning. So here’s to Spartacus, Gannicus, Crixus, Animais and the rest. I hope you all survive and that Asher, Glaber and Ilythia get what they so richly deserve.


Sophie Oak writes erotic romance for Siren Publishing. Sophie will be signing books this weekend in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. 


The first signing is on Friday, March 30th at the Hilton Garden Inn - Las Colinas from 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
7516 Las Colinas Boulevard  
Irving, TX 75063


The second signing is on Sunday, April 1st at the Barnes & Noble in Lewisville, TX at 3pm. 
2325 S Stemmons Fwy Suite 401
Lewisville, TX 75067


Her latest, Pure Bliss (Nights in Bliss, Colorado 6), is available now.




4 comments:

Kathleen C said...

I also invented a name for man panties a few year back that even my husband still uses...manny pannies. :) Coming out my hubby's mouth is still funny, especially since he's nearly 6'4 and 270 lbs. Ha!

I love those movies/shows for the some of the same reasons you do, Sophie. Swords, attitudes, gorgeous men and testosterone overload. And, yep, always prayin' for a little breeze.

Abigail-Madison Chase said...

Manties (man panites) are soo

ashleyd said...

300 is the ultimate chick flick and i told all my girlfriends about Spartacus when it started a few seasons ago. Not only is it a great show the man candy isn't too bad either.

swamimommy said...

don't forget Tony Curtis in his short shorts in the Vikings wow