Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A cartographer I'll never be...

There is so much to building a world (or small town in my case). The cork board that lines the back wall of my office is peppered with little pieces of paper and notes that I've written to myself about Ecstasy Lake. One day, not s long ago, I realized I was loosing track of where everything was and I was going to have to create a map of my special town.

What I thought would be an easy sketch, wasn't as easy as I thought. I started getting more and more detailed and picky about where it had to be in the province. That called for a trip to google maps. You will never guess what I found...
Ecstasy Lake is based on a real place just outside Algonquin Park. When I found a lake called Wolf Lake I took it as a sign. ;)


View Wolf Lake Rd in a larger map

It's okay, you can laugh. I know I'm artistically challenged when it comes to drawing. LOL But, this gave me a visual idea of what is going on. When someone drives through town, it helps to remind me what is on each side of the street and in what order the shops are. I do need to update my map though. I don't have Ecstasy Bikes on there (Lar's shop) or the new Burger Barn that opened up this summer...oh, there's the marathon that is being swum across the lake too...



While I don't think I'll ever be able to add Cartographer" to my resume. I am having fun with my little map and my favourite town. There is so much I have to add on there and with each book I get more ideas. I might have to redraw my map one day but I think it would be more fun to keep adding to this one. That way I can watch it evolve with the series.

3 comments:

SusieJ said...

I love your map - it has character and meaning...:)
You've probably guessed from this that cartography (and, indeed, map reading) is not part of my skill set..lol!
Hugs xx

Lily said...

I agree with Susie, great map :-)

Aisha said...

i always wondered how authors kept these "towns" straight in their heads, now I see, cute picture.