Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sex Scene Wish List

One of my favorite places in Austin--and this won't really be a surprise--is BookPeople. It's the largest indie bookstore in Texas. They have author and book events practically every day of they year, and sometimes they have multiple events going on in a day.

Last week, I went to see some of my fave YA authors speak about their latest releases, and someone in the audience asked, "Are you going to be sad when the series is finished? Do you think you'll ever go back to it?"

Now, both of the authors were women, and most of the audience was comprised of women, but I didn't foresee one of the authors answering something like this:
Oh my gosh. Yes. You know how people write fan fiction, and like really let their imaginations go? Like, too far? Like, whoa dang, this is steamy. Like, I hope my mom doesn't walk in right now. That is so me. Seriously. I already write fan fiction for my own books. I keep those in a separate file, and if anyone ever reads those scenes and is shocked, I'm just gonna be like, "What? I just wanted to see what would happen." Not even ashamed to admit it. I like kissing scenes, and I like what kissing scenes lead to.
Of course everyone was dying of laughter and shock and I really wanted to jump out of my seat and give her a high five/hug/maybe a kiss?, and I also sort of REALLY WANT TO GET MY HANDS ON THOSE SCENES. But all that aside, it got me to thinking about books that I love (outside of erotic romance) where the author didn't quite take things far enough, imho.

So I've made a sex scene wish list of my top five non-romance books. They are as follows:

SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi -- her kissing scenes are beyond steamy (like, imagine clothes-on-in-the-shower, it's-been-building-up-for-years kind of kissing). I think she could definitely handle taking things to the NEXT LEVEL.



GONE WITH THE WIND by Margaret Mitchell -- umm, okay, what happens in the bedroom when Rhett gets all mad and sexy that one night when he's drunk? It's like, he's carrying a struggling Scarlett up the stairs, and then fade to black, and then the next morning she's all singing in bed like "I can't wait to to that again, la la la!" And I'm like, "Do what again, Scarlett? Spill, girl, SPILL!"



HARRY POTTER by JK Rowling -- one stormy night in the castle. Gryffindor Hall is empty. Harry, Ron, Hermione. Too much butterbeer. That's all I'm sayin'.


+


=

YES.

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen -- okay, everyone thinks Jane Austen is some dowdy, spinster, crazy-cat-lady kind of gal, but actually, from her letters and stuff to her sister, she was pretty dang knowledgeable about all sorts of things for an unmarried woman in that time period (and by all sorts of things, I mean SEX...but that's all strictly academic conjecture, of course.) In fact, I'd be willing to bet that she did write some Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy fan fiction-type scenes that she kept locked up in her writing desk. Saucy minx!



THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins -- Katniss and Peeta in that cave? Almost-certain death around every corner? TEENAGE HORMONES? Are you kidding me? That is a recipe for X-rated extended scenes. Suzanne, why you leavin' us hanging?!


Are there any characters that you've fantasized about outside of the romance world? Please do tell!




No comments: