Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Keeping it "real."

I wrote on another blog this week about how the heart is not a pie and my own personal poly lifestyle arrangement with my Hubby and my Sir.

What's that mean? That the heart isn't a pie? It's not a finite piece of real estate. There isn't this limited supply of love and affection that once you use it up, it's gone. People with more than one child (or pet) can relate to that, I'm sure.

The same applies to romantic relationships. I was pleasantly surprised at the positive response I received about opening up somewhat about our situation. There are a lot of people who are poly who are afraid to let anyone know for fear of losing their jobs or even their children. I'm fortunate enough that with Hubby retired, I couldn't care less anymore.

A few years ago, I never dreamed I'd be writing menage erotica, much less involved in the BDSM lifestyle and my own poly-V. I guess it's a case of life imitating art. I'm not saying our situation would work for everyone, but it works for us. Yes, there are normal-life moments, bickering and annoyances, time constraints, but we're real people, and there's a whole lot of love that allows us to work through whatever life throws at us.

That's why I like to write reality, so to speak. Not just the sexiness, but the sorrow, and the "you ain't gonna believe this" moments. Even in paranormal or sci-fi, people are still people. They fart, they screw up. They sometimes accidentally unleash a dump tank on their wife...

The funny thing is, "Love Slave for Two: Reunions (Book 3)" (book 4, "Reckoning," comes out Aug. 27th) was already out and I was describing the scene where Tyler screws up in a bad, bad way, and my mom told me about a nearly identical incident during a family vacation when I was a kid where my dad accidentally had  an RV's dump tank empty on him and apparently my mom, my sister, and I refused to let him back into the RV until he showered. LOL

I had no recollection of that, but apparently something in my subconscious did.

Life is a beautiful, funny thing, and it certainly isn't a one-size-fits-all package. I'm glad I can talk about my situation and bring more attention to non-traditional, non-monogamous relationships and help normalize them.  So many people have to live in fear, that at least it's one small way I can do my part.

(If you want to read the latest in the "Love Slave for Two" series, you can get Tymber's book "Love Slave for Two: Reunions" from Siren-BookStrand. Her website is http://tymberdalton.com)


2 comments:

Desertduty said...

My hubby and I had an incident in a parking lot of a grocery store. We had an extra black tank because we do a lot of primitive camping. The extra tank was half full and on the trailer with our quad when I noticed it was leaking. Hubby went to tighten the cap when the backed up gases caused the lid to pop off. We had a shit volcano in the parking lot! Hubby feared paying for the haz-mat cleanup, so we jumped in the truck and took off. We cleaned everything up at a KOA, and we laugh about our shit volcano to this day!

Tymber Dalton said...

ROTFLMAO!!! Man, that would ruin one's day. LOL