Friday, October 19, 2012

Back to Square Two Thousand

Deviant Knights, the first book in the Knights of the Temple series, was the last menage book I've published in a while.  It came out in June 2012 and since then I've written five new pieces, none of them menage.

Why?

The stories I did write just hit me and they weren't menage.  I didn't want to force any of them to become what they weren't and we all need a change of pace every so often.  But after writing five, I started to feel a little lost and knew it was time to get back to the series and start writing another knight tale.

Once my fingers got busy, it felt good to stretch a little and write about two hunky guys.  I've crawled a bit in their head to figure out who they were, stretched their muscles, so to speak.  The words were coming fast and furious and I wrote about 6,000 words in a couple of days.

Then I woke up the next day to a corrupted file.  I'd forgotten to back-up my file the night before, so I'd lost everything I'd done on day two.  Two thousand words, just gone.  It just about made me sick.

At first, I was angry, stomping around like a four year old who didn't want to take their nap.  Then I began replaying the scenes I'd lost and trying to get everything squared away.  Brainstorming began to happen and suddenly, a whole new beginning for the story came into focus, which didn't mean I lost the current opening.  The story now opens a little earlier in the timeline and we see an important event occur.

So, it may have been a blessing in disguise.  I'll keep telling myself that as I re-write those two thousand words and try not to pout too much.


~Alex

1 comment:

Susan W. said...

How frustrating to loose so much work! But it sounds like something good came out of it.
suz2(at)cox(dot)net