Thursday, October 18, 2012

Let the Good Times Roll

What happens when eight romance authors hole up in a time-share resort near the French Quarter of New Orleans? Will any writing get done? Will the French Quarter run out of wine or chocolate? Will the pool boy survive?

In two days, I’ll let you know.

I’m off to an informal “writers retreat” – or at least that’s what we’re calling it in case the IRS asks. The plan is to brainstorm stories and promotional ideas, get TONS of writing done since we’ll be away from husbands and children and jobs, and hold off on the wine until at least noon. 


Actually, the truth is we have no plan. And we’re okay with that. Among the eight of us, we’ll be traveling from as far away as Canada, Alaska, Seattle, California, Nebraska and Texas. There’s no conference, no opportunity to meet readers or editors, no books signings or panels – it’s just us. Eight authors, hanging out and bouncing ideas around.

As a writer, this is pretty much my idea of heaven. Other authors don’t mind if you obsess about your plot line. They don’t mind if you rant about an editor or a reviewer (not that that ever happens!) My husband is perfectly patient when I talk about my writing, but he doesn’t understand the way other authors do. I think he just thinks I’m off my rocker, in a cute way, of course.

In this group, no one’s going to mind if I get in a writing groove and skip dinner. I won’t have to help anyone with their homework. I won’t have to worry about balanced meals; I can eat nothing but crackers and cheese for four days if I want. I can brainstorm – out loud – ideas for my M/M/F/M ménage scene. I can search for hot man pics without worrying about my eight-year old walking in. In other words, for four days I can be totally, utterly selfish about my writing. 

All this, while gorging on beignets, gumbo and street music. 


Oh yeah, I’m looking forward to this. When it’s done, I’ll resume my responsible life as wife and mother. But for now, laissez les bon temps roulez!

If you’ve been to New Orleans, is there anything you recommend we see or do while we’re in the French Quarter? 

Juniper Bell's next release is UNLEASHING THE RECEPTIONIST, out on October 30 from Samhain Publishing. Click the cover for more. 

 

No comments: