Wednesday, November 21, 2012

NaNoWriMo ... aka Suck Out Thy Soul

It's November which means it's officially NaNoWriMo.

What is NaNoWriMo, you ask?  It's the hipster way of saying NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth.  During NaNo, writers of all shapes and sizes sit down before their computers and attempt to write 50,000 words in 30 days of writing abandon.  The idea is to focus, write everyday, and to just let the words flow, regardless if they're shit or not.

This is my third year participating in the fun.  I "won" the last two and hopefully will have a third for a trifecta this year.  There really is no prize, just having bragging rights that you completed the process.  And then of course, you have a shiny, new novel done if you make it somewhere near the finish line.

I'm working on the next book in the Knights of the Temple series for my project, as I said in a post earlier this month (Ursula and Susan, I know it was way past time to get a second book, going, sorry ladies!) One of the reasons it took me so long to get around to this book is a struggle with focus and getting words on the page.  NaNo has helped light a fire under my ass and made me friggen write.

One thousand, six-hundred sixty-six words a day, every day for thirty. 

I'm sitting just over the 36K mark and I'm a little ahead of schedule so I can take Thanksgiving and Black Friday off to spend with my family.

I also want to give a little shout out in the spirit of Thanksgiving.  For those readers who've bought one of my books, contacted me to ask when the next one was coming, and read all along the way, you are absolutely incredible.  I have a small faithful following who are first in line to buy the new book and cheer me along.  I am humbled by you ladies and I give thanks everyday that you enjoy my work.

And on that note, I figured it was time to share a little piece of my new WIP and let you meet Nicolas since I introduced you to Matthias last post.

Have a wonderful holiday if you celebrate!  Happy Thanksgiving! 



 Knights of the Temple - Book Two



©2012, Alexandra O’Hurley



Nicolas was still reeling from the events he’d witnessed but all he knew was they needed to get the hell out of there.  Another Illuminati assassin could easily come for them and they needed to get the female to safety before trying to determine what the hell she was. 

Power had vibrated through him once she touched him, and he still felt the swell of her energy within.  His mind hadn’t yet processed the other emotions, the lust, the desire, he’d also felt at her caress, but he’d not dismissed it either.  Being brought back from the brink of death and then staring down his murderer had been at the forefront of his mind, not his baser instincts.  Her touch had amped his strength ten–fold and he hadn’t felt this alert and refreshed in eons.  The infinite days had begun to wear on him and he’d nearly become as jaded and cynical as Matthias as they hunted and killed their foe.  He’d held close that there had to be more to their purpose than killing the thousands of Illuminati zombies that roamed the earth because Gaia had to have a better reason for keeping them around so long.

He knew the importance of his mission, understood and held it as dear today as he had seven hundred years before when Gaia had saved them from the Templar massacre.  The Illuminati couldn’t thrive; their chaos had to be challenged.  The war between good and evil ran amok across the planet.  Gaia had gathered him and his remaining Templar brothers to help her balance the power and save the inhabitants of this world in the process.

His gaze moved to the woman once more.  How did she fit into the scheme?  Which side was she on?

Want to win a copy of the first book?  Comment below with the thing you're most thankful for this year and I'll enter you into a drawing to win an e-copy of Deviant Knights.

4 comments:

Jesse Kimmel-Freeman said...

Congrats on the progress! This is my first year, I've reached their cap, which I am STOKED about. No need to enter me, I just wanted to say congrats. I don't have an ereader, and spending more time in front of the computer doesn't sound like too much fun these days! Love the piece you shared! :0) Wishing you an explosion of words to get you to the 50k goal!

Joanne said...

Congrats on everything you've accomplished, including NaNoWriMo. I don't think I could write that furiously to complete this task. I do it just for fun. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get the trifecta.
Happy Thanksgiving.

e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

Melody Prat said...

First of all Congrats!
Second I am thankful for so many things and not enough room to write it. The one thing that comes to mind the most is Family. I have four children, 3 are grown and married, one still at home (17 yrs old, she thinks she is grown), 1 grandchild with 1 on the way. I am THANKFUL that I have had the pleasure of raising these 4 grown children and to be able to see what they are making of there lives. Sadly two of the four live far away and I don't see them other than Skype (that includes my grandchild). But all the same I am so very thankful that I have them in my life. Still I have many things to be Thankful for, a good husband, my parents, my sister, and so on! Really I wake up everyday THANKFUL!

Gaia Amalija said...

I love reading your books! Thanks for the peek :D

I am thankful for every day... Thankful for my own Knight who has saved me from myself, and kept me strong for so many years now. He is my strength, my happiness and my Best Friend. I think I am most thankful that he is such a great father to our girls :) Happy Turkey day!