Monday, November 26, 2012

Sometimes the best way to write, is not to...

Sunset on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Last week we went on a family vacation to the Gulf coast of Florida. I love the moment that we get out of the airport and past the city and roll down the windows as we approach the ocean. Smelling the warm salt air and watching the palm trees wave to us.     (In my author brain I like to think they are waving hi and welcoming us home ;)
My original plan was to work on a new series I've had circulating in the back of my head while we were down there. The weeks leading up to our trip had been filled with edits on two different books and I was looking forward to letting my creative side out. to play.

But, it didn't quite work out that way. I tried to plot on the plane, but got distracted by a book I'd been looking forward to reading. (Leah Brooke's Night Rogues) and the first day of travelling was exhausting. The harder I tried to focus on creating a new series, the less I was able to.
So I figured it wasn't mean to be and didn't worry about it. Instead my week was filled with trips to Busch Gardens and walks on the beach. My notebook and pen sat on the counter all week as my creative well started to refill. 
My daughter and I got a puzzle that took us all week to finish. That was harder then it looks LOL. All four of us worked on here and there. I knit on a light weight scarf I wanted to make. Lots of walks on the beach created a collection of interesting shells for another project to work on when we got home. The girls loved finding perfectly formed shells but I liked the broken ones with character and interesting colours. I found pieces of coral that looked like a octopus arms. 



Sometimes a perfect vacation is when you don't get anything accomplished that you planned but you get lots of more important things done. My last day in Florida I spent an afternoon with Melody Snow Monroe and we chatted about books and future ideas. I realized then that I was ready to work on some new books. My brain was sparking with ideas and I couldn't wait to get home and get started.

Next month I have a new Steampunk novel coming out and in the New Year I'm looking forward to trips to Ecstasy Lake and getting to know some new characters that have been chatting away in my head,.


Release Date: December 14th
http://www.bookstrand.com/seducing-their-wayfaring-souls

4 comments:

Lee said...

That sounds fabulous....both the vacation time to just "percolate" and the new story plans! I'm on 3xtasy Lake 3 right now! ;)

Corinne Davies said...

I spend too much time on Facebook. I was looking for the like button for your comment Lee. LOL
Coming home to snow was a bit of a shock to the system but I've decided to set the next series in a much warmer climate so I can pretend I'm somewhere warmer. :)

Heather Rainier said...

I can relate, Corinne. Sometimes the down time is too important to your overall process to miss out on. I'm glad you were able to relax and enjoy yourself. It sounds like your muse is refreshed too. <3

Heather Rainier said...

I can relate, Corinne. Sometimes the down time is too important to your overall process to miss out on. I'm glad you were able to relax and enjoy yourself. It sounds like your muse is refreshed too. <3